Wednesday, October 22, 2008

happy thing SIX: pantone formula guide


My Pantone formula guide is invaluable for selecting and mixing colors for printing! It also helps me with any graphic design projects I may be working on. They are a little pricey and I do need to purchase another one that lets me see the CMYK formula next to the Pantone color. The guides are essentially to help make sure your colors come out predictably. Of course since I hand mix my own inks and I letterpress print instead of offset print my colors will be slightly different from the books but they are still great guides and I usually start with a Pantone when mixing my inks and then customize from there. If you have a pantone book make sure you keep it stored in a dark place. Pantone suggests you purchase a new one each year but if you keep it stored away from sunlight you can usually extend it's life.

No comments: