Saturday, November 08, 2008

some yummy local food & produce!

Here's a just discovered happy thing. I just read about Chicago's Downtown Farmstand from a local Daily Candy email and I almost immediately ran out (in the rain) to get some veggies that I could turn into a dinner. My fridge is perpetually under stocked. At any rate Chicago's Downtown Farmstand carries produce grown within 250 miles of the city and to my extreme happiness they carry a few local favorites including Frontera chips and salsa, the Old Town Spice House's spices (seriosuly, if you are in Chicago or ever visit this is a must stop!). And even better there were pies, quiches, soups and full meals from First Slice! I love First Slice! They have a pie cafe at the Lill Street Art Center which is where I take silkscreen classes. There is nothing better than art and good food (ok maybe some wine too).

Back to Chicago's Downtown Farmstand — for dinner we purchased a bacon and onion quiche and a vegetable chowder soup all by First Slice. They were wonderful! Best quiche I have had in a long time and it was the best veggie anything soup I have ever had. Yummy!

Chicago's Downtown Farmstand is only supposed to be open until December. Go support them and maybe we can convince them to stay open all year long. I will be back for more goodies and produce!

No comments: